Extreme Dynamics is a versatile compressor/expander device, which offers a wide range of control options and monitoring capabilities. It features 5 different gain control functions operating both above and below the threshold level, look-ahead and peak modes, several A/R envelope filter tuning options, controllable saturation effect, a segmented meter display and a 2D scope display to monitor the device operation. If you like experimenting with compressors and especially visualizing what you are doing, this is the tool for you.
What this device features:
- 3 compressor and 2 expander modes, which can be applied both above and below the threshold and combined in any possible way. It can perfectly emulate all the built-in Reason compressors (except for auto-release mode) and many of the others.
- Upward compression (below threshold). It can bring near silent (-120dB) signals back to audible range.
- Look-ahead delay mode. The input signal is delayed before the gain changes are applied to it. It is automatically delay compensated.
- Peak mode. It also allows for gradual change between peak and averaging follower.
- True RMS follower mode.
- Soft-knee segment around the threshold point.
- Segmented meter display, which can show 3 different signals: the applied gain, the input(sidechain) relative to the threshold, and the output.
- The scope display to watch the actual gain curve you will get with the parameters you have set, and to monitor the signal response.
- Input/output of the raw gain modulation signal as CV or in audio sample rate resolution.
- Controllable saturation effect (harmonic distortion) driven by dynamics gain.
What this device cannot do:
- It does not limit the output signal. You may (accidentally) set it up to overdrive the output by +120 dB. Protect your ears and equipment.
- It does not prevent clicks and pops when you operate switches during the initial parameter set up.
- It does not distinguish background noise from the desired signal. You can set it up so that the tiniest noise is amplified up to the normal signal levels.
- It does not have a Dry/Wet control. If you want a parallel compression, you will need to arrange it yourself.
1.1.1 Add saturation effect. Update front panel image.
1.0.1 Initial release.